Saturday, March 17, 2007

Contingency Plans to suffice often do more then that

Contingency Plans to suffice are not just clutch but more then nice. Two days ago I received three teams of volunteers from Dartmouth College in the City of New Orleans. Long before their arrival I promised to secure their housing and feed them. During their orientation it was confirmed that my initial housing plans fell through. At this time I was hoping and praying that a door would open up to house the volunteers within my means. I was able to secure housing for all the women in a three-story house upon my first request. On my next appeal for housing for the men I was blessed with hope. One of the foremen for the gutting and remodeling missions offered his house that was in the midst of repairs, with no walls carpet or lights. Electricity was running and the plumbing installed that day. Some of the volunteers were actually excited to rough it and camp in the back yard because the interior was full of dust and fiberglass from insulation. Their team leaders decided against the idea and the two teams of men decided to camp next to the majid in the yard were the orientation was held earlier that day.

Day one was a near failure if not a complete one when scrutinized under my methodology for volunteer hosting. Basic principles like providing the best food, shelter etc. The best is not always available for you to supply or provide and that's were the trial begins. A trial for the volunteers in respect to their resilience, a trial of faith and patientience for me no doubt. The next day they worked hard gutting a house and a masjid in Metairie. The next night they were scheduled to volunteer at the largest FEMA trailer site in LA which happens to be in Baton Rouge. They were accommodated in my home and the local masjid of which they found superior to the previous accommodations in the cool dirty hood of New Orleans. This gave them more confidence in me as their host and director which in turns make it easier to accomplish the humanitarian work scheduled with minimal drama.

What was clutch is half way through this post I received a return call from a previous inquiry that confirmed brand new apartments to be provided for the teams at more then reasonable cost for the next 9 days, ALLAH fulfilling my intention to house them and feed them the best I could

Praise be to ALLAH lord of all the worlds

No comments: